Years ago, it was my birthday. I knew that Brandon would get me a present, despite my protests, and as the evening came I anticipated what that gift might be. Maybe it was a good book. I do love to read, especially when it is a series. I just devour them and then I can't wait until I can get to the next book. So, deep down I was sort of hoping that maybe, just maybe, I was getting the next book in The Work and The Glory series. Or, maybe it was a massage. I've never had a professional massage before, and I've always wanted to try one out and see how I'd like it. Maybe that's what he would get me. I'd even settle for a manicure, or pedicure. I love having my nails done, and being able to sit and relax while being pampered. I love it! Maybe that was what I could expect. So the time finally came, and I opened my present. I knew when I saw the package that it wasn't the book I was hoping for because it wasn't the right size, then again, Brandon likes to surprise me by changing the shape of the package, or wrapping something completely different and then handing me the real present after I unwrap the mock one. So--I unwrapped my present. What is it? What is it? It's a...........drummel! Wow! I was not expecting that! Luckily, Brandon knew exactly how to use all of the attachments, and showed me how to while he finished some of his little projects around the house. It was nice, because not only was it handy, but it came with one-on-one tutoring. Through the years it's been very useful. It's helped Brandon work on the car. It's helped Brandon do repairs around the house. It's helped Brandon carve those intricate details in "Best Design"and "Most Creative" award winning Pinewood Derby cars. It is the gift that keeps on giving.


The other gift that I wanted to talk about was just this last year. The kids didn't have school and so I wanted to go to Fort Vancouver because I don't remember ever having gone there, although my mom assures me that we did when we first moved to the northwest back in 1990. So, we got up and got ready and went to the Fort. Then I thought it would be fun to go to the Humane Society, because it's always been a little hobby of ours to go and look at the dogs, at the pound, as well as pet shops, and then pet them, oooh and awww over them, then leave the fleas and the smells and the poop behind as we head out the door. Well, the kids, all six of them, (I say six, because whenever we get around dogs Brandon becomes the little 9 year-old boy who always wanted a dog and never had one that lasted for more than a couple of days...that's a whole other story) start becoming dogs themselves. They all start whining and drooling, pawing at me and begging, and quite honestly, start making me a little itchy. That's when we know that it's time to leave. This time, however, I saw a cute little quiet dog, sitting alone in the corner of her kennel with the biggest, sweetest definition of "puppy dog eyes" you've ever seen. Her name was Maggie, and I was not completely turned off by her. I was, however, completely, heart and soul, turned off by the 8 ft. tall St. Bernard Puppy that Brandon was drooling over. Poop big enough to step in was one thing. Poop big enough to drown in was another. Anyway--I couldn't believe it...but Brandon offered to get me a dog for my birthday. I think that maybe I had a bit of a "senior" moment, now that I'm well into my thirties (31) and I agreed to this unexpected gift. So, now, Brandon (I mean I) have finally got a dog (We changed her name to Samantha, or Sam, because my sister-in-law, Maggie, lives two doors down and we didn't think she'd appreciate sharing her name with our dog). And I (I mean Brandon) gets to scoop poop, vacuum hair up all day long, teach her not to chew on the kids' toys, or the kids, and chase her down every time she escapes from the house. My husband is so thoughtful!
In all seriousness, he is very thoughtful. I do love the drummel. I'm a very crafty person and Brandon knew that I would like to use it for my crafts, and I do. I also like the dog. After all, I got to pick out the one that I wanted, and he waited to get one until we had 5 kids, 3 of which are perfectly capable of cleaning up messes, and taking her for short walks around the culd-e-sac. She's also very sweet, a quick learner, and NOT A ST. BERNARD. He does love me. I can't wait to see though, what I'm going to get for my birthday this year. Brandon (I mean I) really need a new pair of skiis.
Now that I'm posting this draft, I'll have two drafts for October. Just keep that in mind when you read the Happy Halloween post.







1 comment:
We got our first dog about 9 months ago. He is the best! He's 8 or probably 9 years old by now & already house trained & old enough to want to sleep all day & not be hyper. We love him!
Maybe, next time, you'll get a crafting cat.
Post a Comment